POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Light diffusion through prism : Re: Light diffusion through prism Server Time
2 Jul 2024 11:33:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light diffusion through prism
From: CAD-Andi
Date: 25 Apr 2011 19:25:00
Message: <web.4db60273dcf29308b642fbb20@news.povray.org>
"awestover" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I am trying to create a simple scene that has a semi-transparent triangular
> prism with a white light entering on one side and a rainbow exiting on the
> other, similar to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dispersive_Prism_Illustration_by_Spigget.jpg
>
> I was thinking about just using a gradient and a color map to build the rainbow
> but every time I tried the gradient would be small and repeat, so it was like 5
> or 6 repeating rainbows. I then tried the actual rainbow structure but couldn't
> get it straight and triangular like the dispersion from a prism. Any idea on how
> to go about this?

To awestover:
Alain and Jim gave you really good advice. I really hope you accomplished your
goal writing your script. There is nothing more rewarding than to see the
physics of nature perfectly simulated by povray. I would go with Alain's
suggestion to project the light onto a screen rather than using media. Good
luck!