POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : "Bad allocation" in POV-Ray RC3 for WIndows : Re: "Bad allocation" in POV-Ray RC3 for WIndows Server Time
28 Jun 2024 10:47:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Bad allocation" in POV-Ray RC3 for WIndows
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 12 Apr 2011 18:30:01
Message: <web.4da4d19ced9ecc0c734aecd0@news.povray.org>
> Am 12.04.2011 02:41, schrieb Tor Olav Kristensen:
> >
> > I get this error message:
> > "Parse Error: bad allocation  Render failed"
> > - after the code below has been running for about 3 seconds.
> >
> > // ===== 1 ======= 2 ======= 3 ======= 4 ======= 5 ======= 6 ======= 7
> >
> > #version 3.7;
> >
> > #while (true)
> >    #local Fn = function { transform { translate <0, 0, 0> } }
> >    #undef Fn
> > #end // while
> >
> > // ===== 1 ======= 2 ======= 3 ======= 4 ======= 5 ======= 6 ======= 7
>
> Having had a closer look at the code, I can confirm that this problem
> indeed depends on the amount of memory installed in, and/or addressable
> by, the user's computer.
>
> As of now, POV-Ray "only" allows a maximum of 1048575 functions per
> scene. Unfortunately, this is also the number of entries in a certain
> table of function-related data POV-Ray allows before it re-uses entries
> marked as deleted.
>
> While this is good for parse speed in scenes using a lot of functions
> (POV-Ray doesn't have to waste time searching the table for undef'd
> entries), it's fatal for scenes re-defining functions over and over again.

I see.

I was just playing around with the new mesh_camera feature. For each triangle in
a mesh for a camera, I did a couple of vtransform() calls. (And if I have
understood things right, a mesh camera needs a lot of triangles...)

Perhaps it would be a good thing to make the vtransform() internal to POV-Ray
instead of just a macro (?)

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com