POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 2,296 grains : 2,296 grains Server Time
2 May 2024 13:57:25 EDT (-0400)
  2,296 grains
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 2 Apr 2011 20:10:00
Message: <web.4d97bab0dc7be259e5cacc00@news.povray.org>
Hi again!

I found a way to allow grains of different sizes to placed, and the results
aren't so bad! All I needed to do was to subtract blob components with sizes
*relative* to the grain being produced. To do /that/, however, required an extra
loop in which all neighboring point distances were added up and averaged to
determine an acceptable size for the current grain.

Voronoi calculation time for scene: about 3 seconds. Parse time: 3 seconds.
Render time with one 12x12 area-illuminating area light: 10 minutes 6 seconds.
Not too bad!

The biggest problem I can see is that some grains (other than those assumed to
be held up by walls) appear to float. These are so few, and the parsing time so
short, that for a final scene grains could be placed manually to make it look
physically-correct.

I'd love to make this available to everyone, but I don't know where to start :(
I could just drop some source/binaries and hope for the best...

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '2296-grains.jpg' (100 KB)