POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray and large sdl code. : Povray and large sdl code. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  Povray and large sdl code.
From: CAD-Andi
Date: 20 Mar 2011 09:45:01
Message: <web.4d86045442d4714ab642fbb20@news.povray.org>
Hi!

The short:
Povray RC3 on Windows: Large SDL files take ages to save.
Megapov frontend with RC3 on OSX: Large SDL files crash the program while
saving.
Any Solutions?

The Long:
I'm working with Povray RC3 on both, MAC and Windws 7 machines and have one big
problem. I deal with huge sdl scripts generated by third party converters. The
built in Editor in the Windows version is very (very very very) slow when it
comes to saving large sdl files (100 mega byte +). It loads the stuff very
swiftly but after I make changes and save it it can take minutes (they seem like
years). Out of desperation I'm using a regular text-editor (pfe, "Programmers
File Editor") as a workaround which saves any file size within 2-3 seconds!. On
the Mac I'm using RC3 in the Mega-Pov application. On Mega-Pov for MAC
unfortunately it is absolutely impossible to write these large files to disk.
The program simply stalls and i have to force quit it. I love the editors built
into the povray front end for their syntax highlighting and their really helpful
tools! Both, Povray and MegaPov. Anyone have an idea how I could work with large
files! Have been searching for a alternative Editor that supports povray syntax
highlighting on both MAC and Windows but with no result.

Any suggestions ar much appreciated!!

Andi