POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thought for future pattern type - array : Re: Thought for future pattern type - array Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thought for future pattern type - array
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 18 Mar 2011 15:10:00
Message: <web.4d83adacf8aa102581c811d20@news.povray.org>
> I just thought I'd throw it out there :) It's a terrible method for all
> the reasons you mentioned, plus it's a big memory hog :(
>
> An editable array pattern would indeed be a great thing, could be used
> for all sorts of things... Even better yet would be the option to
> specify linear or cubic blending between cells, and a way to instantly
> turn an object pattern into an array pattern.
>
> A few averaged object->array patterns of varying resolutions would make
> proximity patterns easy to create :D
>
> Sam

For future reference I have found that my current workaround to creating one is
use "ARRAYS_WriteDF3()" macro in "arrays.inc" to dump to a df3 file, and read
that in as a desity_file pattern.  But it may help simplify some of your
approaches rather than having to come up with the procedural gradient loop.

Unfortuneately this means having an external df3 file being created...

-tgq