POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : multiple usage of mclock? : Re: multiple usage of mclock? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 18:48:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: multiple usage of mclock?
From: CAD-Andi
Date: 15 Mar 2011 13:25:00
Message: <web.4d7fa0d114cd5500bf952ed30@news.povray.org>
> You only have ONE clock variable, but you can have as many independent
> derived variables as you like.
> You can never change the value of clock directly in your code, it's a
> read only variable.
> ClockMod.inc does just that. It takes the internal clock variable and
> calculate new, independent, user defined, Clock(s) variables from it.
>
> Just use the macro once for the camera. Once the camera have been
> positioned, you are free to change the variables used as you want
> without ever affecting the camera in any way.
>
> If you first set your transparency, changing the variable after that
> won't affect the transparency.
>
> Just make sure that, for the transparency, from 0% to 20% you have a
> constant value, then increase from 20% to 30%, then stay constant until
> 70% and finaly drop to the initial value at 80% and stay constant after
> that.
>
> It's a good place to use a spline.
> Using % is beter that using absolute frame_number. If you come back and
> want to render the animation with another frame fate, you won't need to
> change the code, just the final frame.
>

> Alain

Awesome! Thanks Alain to set me straight! It's pretty obvious and simple isn't
it? I guess I'm not used to the linearity that povray parses through the code.
Also that it parses every time through the whole thing makes it a little easier.

Though I still hope that some day the programming gods will provide us with the
possiblity to store constant geometry somewhere in memory so that povray doesn't
have to parse through the scene file every time in full.
(I know, this was a little off topic, but one can still express hope, right?)

Thanks again!

Andi