POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 2D graphical elements : Re: 2D graphical elements Server Time
30 Jun 2024 02:59:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D graphical elements
From: posfan12
Date: 13 Mar 2011 09:35:00
Message: <web.4d7cc7481ecabac22e148fbc0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > What are good candidate 3D objects? They should be smooth and also render fast.
> >
> > 9.2 The ‘rect’ element
> > 9.3 The ‘circle’ element
> > 9.4 The ‘ellipse’ element
> > 9.5 The ‘line’ element
> > 9.6 The ‘polyline’ element
> > 9.7 The ‘polygon’ element
> >

> Already seen in FS#63
>
>     * Rectangles can have rounded corners
>     * Polygons have last point connected to first
>
> circle = disc
> ellipse = disc + scale
> polygon = polygon !
> rect = flat box, but rounded corners would be a bonus
> line = flat box + rotate, but need a pen size!
> polyline = sequence of flat box & connecting disc, also need a pen size

1. I'm not 100% all of these are usable when you take into consideration the
fact that SVG can have separate fill and stroke parameters, several types of
curved and/or boxy "line endings" (can't remember the correct term for
these...), and so on.

2. I've been considering instead using triangle meshes for everything, possibly
using one of the various parametric object approximation macros/tools people
have created over the years. It would make things a lot simpler since you could
just plug in the formulas and have the macros/tools take care of the rest. (In
fact, I think most software that renders SVG in real-time tends to operate in a
manner more similar to this technique.) Of course, the visual quality might be
inferior in several instances, but it is possible in most cases to tweak the
fidelity/granularity with which the objects and formulas are approximated and
replaced by meshes.

Some food for thought.

-Mike