POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transform to a spline without loop-de-loops : Re: Transform to a spline without loop-de-loops Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transform to a spline without loop-de-loops
From: gregjohn
Date: 9 Mar 2011 07:40:01
Message: <web.4d77743e48e6ef7e34d207310@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the advice all.

Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:

> you do not use bodylocalx, so vcross is not the issue.

Ah, you leave code lying around for a while and sometimes you forget what's
active.

> Also, beware of z+0.0001 ... it's <0.0001, 0.0001, 1.0001> !

This I found to be necessary for any use of Reorient. If you transform from z to
z, it bombs out with singular matrix in inverse thing.  Not helpful.

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>  I would (as I do with procedural
> meshes) use one point behind and one ahead as my forward vector,
> which should be approximately close to the tangent of the current point.

I don't think this is a universal solution. I'd like it to work for any spline,
whether it's ten points widely spaced along a natural_spline curve, or one
defined with a thousand points set up via trig functions.  I had an application
where I wanted it to walk around obstacles, and so I only needed to set up ten
points that avoided the obstacles. "Next point" would disrupt that system.