POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nameless : Re: Nameless Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nameless
From: nemesis
Date: 8 Mar 2011 00:15:01
Message: <web.4d75bb3d71aa90208eebbb560@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Now here's a random thought.
>
> There are several computer systems out there which basically started off
> either as small-scale experiments, or as a single person's personal
> useful tool. These then "escaped" and became wildly popular, despite the
> fact that they were never properly designed and scale horribly.
>
> There should be a name for that... but I can't think of one.

useful?

If it does the job well and is useful to many people it certainly becomes
popular, regardless of design or scalability.

Bottom-up designed, one-shot programs that do one thing well is best design to
me.  Too much abstraction and generalization -- that is, scalability -- usually
derail into many conflicting interfaces and poor performance.