POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Some people can draw... : Re: Some people can draw... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some people can draw...
From: nemesis
Date: 2 Mar 2011 14:45:00
Message: <web.4d6e9d28542b67719a1bcfb90@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> > Mozart symphonies to trance music made with computers;
>
> I happen to *like* trance. :-P
>
> (Which is more than I can say about Mozart symphonies... mostly because
> I don't remember any of them.)

It's not about liking or disliking, it's about recognizing a high watermark for
the art when you are facing it.  Likewise, recognizing what is cheap, lame and
plain mindless no matter how much you like it.  In other words, it's about
putting your personal tastes in a balance and weighting it against what best
History has preserved for their worth.  Requires common sense, context and a
good dose of humility.

> I will grant you though that we are currently flooded with cheap
> mass-produced music that isn't very good. I guess we have simple
> economics to blame, rather than computers. I suspect people are still
> out there making good music; it's just harder to find now.

Don't you find that a bit disconcerting in the Information Age?