POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : +UA acting unexpectedly,Windows POV 3.6 : Re: +UA acting unexpectedly,Windows POV 3.6 Server Time
3 May 2024 17:56:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: +UA acting unexpectedly,Windows POV 3.6
From: Scott M
Date: 28 Feb 2011 07:35:01
Message: <web.4d6b965715484064710071480@news.povray.org>
> Am 28.02.2011 03:32, schrieb Scott M:
>
> > If I'm doing this wrong, what's the right way? Suggestions very welcome,
> > thanks.
>
> With the scene and settings you specified, I can't confirm that
> behaviour for POV-Ray 3.6.2: No jet black sphere in the preview, and no
> "hole" in the output PNG. Everything looks like I guess it should: +UA
> and -UA preview & output look virtually identical, except that with +UA
> the slab is surrounded by transparency rather than blackness.
>
> Are you sure that's exactly the code & settings you tried with?
>
> Exactly what version of POV-Ray are you using?

> Am 28.02.2011 03:32, schrieb Scott M:
>
> > If I'm doing this wrong, what's the right way? Suggestions very welcome,
> > thanks.

> Are you sure that's exactly the code & settings you tried with?
>
> Exactly what version of POV-Ray are you using?

3.6.2.msvc9-sse2.win32. The platform is Vista Home Premium SP2, Intel Core(2)
T7200 @2Ghz, 2 Gig memory.

The settings are 512x384, no AA and +A +Q11 Output_File_Type=N  +UA

I pasted the script from the bug report back into POV and re-ran. This time it
broke differently, and I've posted a screen shot to

http://ikrast.game-host.org/Badness.jpg

This time, instead of an all-black sphere, I get random black bands across the
display window where the sphere is. (In Window's photo viewer they are
transparent, not black.)

I ran it again, simply by clicking Run, and it came up as an all black sphere
that time.

I moved the sphere to <0,0,1> and ran, and got 4 black bands across the sphere.

I moved the sphere to <0,0,2> and ran, and the sphere occludes the box and is
consistently all black.

At <0,0,0.4>, which overlaps the box and sphere a little, I ran a bunch of
times. I got either 1 or 2 black bands (when 1, it was usually near the equator)
the first ten or so times, and then it started rendering as all black, and
stayed that way consistently thereafter. Figuring memory corruption, I exited
POV and restarted it by double-clicking on the script, and rendered. This time
it rendered closer to what I'd expect, except the "transparency checkerboard"
was visible on the sphere in the preview window (maybe that's an expected
refraction effect?) and there are *chunks* missing from the sphere. That image
is at:

http://ikrast.game-host.org/experiment.png

The out of the box scenes, biscuit and woodbox, transform without a hitch. The
laptop's in a cool room and I don't think I'm having overheat or stability
problems.

Scott