POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SSLT candle experiment : Re: SSLT candle experiment Server Time
29 May 2024 07:36:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT candle experiment
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 18 Feb 2011 05:05:01
Message: <web.4d5e43e544aed71b4aa45fdf0@news.povray.org>
"Edouard" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> > Is this one better?
>
> The wax looks just right, you can see the sizes just at a glance by the SSLT!
>
> Cheers,
> Edouard.

In this experiment, I intended to make the size of the flame proportional to the
size of the candle. So, I adjusted the lights powers according to the sizes
proportionally, ie: *2 for the biggest, *1, *1/2, *1/4 respectively. I don't
know the law for the illumination of flames wrt their size. I suppose the
illumination comes from the surface of the flame, and therefore follows a
quadratic law. My powers are surely wrong for flame powers proportional to the
flame sizes.

However, in RL, the size of the flame is generally not proportional to the size
of the candle ...

I also set the fade_distance in the same order of magnitude than the area light
(twice). I am a bit confused by the fact that the dome is so barely visible,
despite 4 candles. But, after all, they are small (the biggest is 16 cm high)
and the dome is 5 metre from there. Maybe relative illuminations are correct.