POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparency with touching bodies : Re: Transparency with touching bodies Server Time
2 Jul 2024 12:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparency with touching bodies
From: MrS1203
Date: 18 Feb 2011 04:35:00
Message: <web.4d5e3ce0ee974b69b5bb38ea0@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> You need to avoid coincident surfaces, so, you need to fudge your
> objects dimentions a little so that ther surfaces are very close without
> actualy touching.
>
> A side note:
> You don't need to use such small values, even working in mm. A POV-unit
> can be any "real world" unit you want, from Parsects (or more) down to
> Armstrong and smaller... All you need to do is to make your model
> assuming that 1 unit = 1 mm.
> All you need to di is to remove those E-3 from your dimentions, or add
> +3 to the expoment.

Thanks for your response. My plan is to import objects from another software
into POV-Ray. From this software I only get a huge amount of points, which have
to meshed in POV-Ray. To change the value of one coordinate (such as the
z-value) before meshing those points is no problem. To change the whole
dimension of the objects is sadly not possible, the objects are not symmetric.
Or is there any way to shrink an object which is made out of meshed points?

I have to use these small values because I get them from the other software
where I have to use SI-units. To test my approach I used small values too. It
would be possible to multiply all coordinates with 1000 to get "normal" values.
But I don't see any advantages if I would do that. Or do I overlook something?