POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Smooth the corners in the intersection of two tubes : Re: Smooth the corners in the intersection of two tubes Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:07:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth the corners in the intersection of two tubes
From: NoOneEagle
Date: 30 Jan 2011 11:25:01
Message: <web.4d458f66edc3acfcfbde73370@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 30/01/2011 2:53 PM, NoOneEagle wrote:
> > I'm fairly new and have looked through the FAQ's but haven't found an answer
> > yet...
> >
> > I have ends of two tubes coming together at a 90 degree angle and it looks
> > just like two tubes coming together. How do I achieve the effect of a corner,
> > like in a picture frame at the corners, instead of the "overlapping" look of
> > just two tubes coming together and if you have an answer would you have a short
> > code showing such?
> >

> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

Ok, I don't want to seem ignorant, but I am new to POV... Just two days, but am
a quick learner if I can see implimented code... I have learned a lot of basic
shapes and shadings and textures and am just starting to put things together. So
I can kind of see where your code could help but I can't quite grasp how to put
it into my code... Here's what I have and what you put out there...

// camera position
camera {
  location <0,0,-20>
  look_at <0,0,0>
}

// light
light_source {<-15,15,-15>
  color rgb <1,1,1>   }

 //verticle center
  cylinder {
   <0, 4, 0>, <0, -4, 0>, 0.60
   pigment { color rgb <1,0,0> }
  finish { phong 4.9}
}

  //horzontal center
  cylinder {
   <3, 3.5, 0>, <-.56, 3.5 , 0>, 0.60
   pigment { color rgb <1,0,0> }
  finish { phong 4.9}
}

 /* This is what you suggested but I can't see "where" i place it in my code or
how...

 difference {
  cylinder {
   -0.5*y,0.5*y,1.0
   scale     <1.0,10.0,1.0>
   translate <0.0,5.0,0.0>
  }

  box {
   < -0.50, -0.50, -0.50 >, < 0.50, 0.50, 0.50 >
   scale     <3.0,3.0,3.0>
   rotate    <0.0,0.0,45.0>
   translate <1.112,0.0,0.0>  translated so the edge touches the
outside of the cylinder
  }

}
*/

If you could put your code into this short piece I have, then I could understand
it better but as it is, I'm just learning and am having a hard time putting it
into perspective, the whole concept of drawing in 3 demensions through code is
still kind of sinking in but I'm learning...

Thanks for the help so far. (grin)