POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Partial Output problem : Re: Partial Output problem Server Time
28 Sep 2024 11:09:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Partial Output problem
From: Mr
Date: 22 Jan 2011 07:20:00
Message: <web.4d3aca8b98f25dc52a18d1190@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Le 22/01/2011 12:19, Mr nous fit lire :
> > Hi,
> > We are trying to implement partial output (border render) into blender's
> > exporter.
> > What happens is that we got it working except opening the output image crashes
> > blender. I suppose it's due to this fact mentioned in povray doc:
> >
> > """
> > When rendering a subset of *rows* (+sr/+er) POV-Ray writes the full height into
> > the image file header and only writes those lines into the image that are
> > rendered. This can cause problems with image reading programs that are not
> > checking the file while reading and just read over the end.
> >
> > If POV-Ray wrote the actual height of the partial image into the image header
> > there would be no way to continue the trace in a later run.
> > """
> >
> > I think Continue trace is one of Povray's best features, but I wouldn't mind to
> > disable it in the exporter for when we do border render, because the idea of
> > border render is to work faster, not render overnight and days. My request is
> > could the file simply be filled with black transparent pixels outside of the
> > rendered area, maybe when an optional keyword is added?
> >
> > Blender developers seem to be fine with how image reading is happening now on
> > blender's side.
>
> What are you trying to achieve ?
>
> Which version are you using ?
>
> testing with 3.7RC3 +sr & +er, with default to png file, seems fine: a
> complete image is generated, with black for the unrendered parts.
>
> If blender is calling povray, it surely know the +sr/+er/+sc/+ec, so can
> read the relevant rectangle only.
>
> Why did you mention Continue ?

I mentioned Continue Trace because of what's written in the doc,

What I'm trying to achieve is have the border_render property of blender set the
+sr +er +sc +ec ini file options, it does work: povray renders the proper part
of the image but, around when the render is finished, blender crashes.
Here is the modified script to replace in the svn exporter:
http://www.pasteall.org/18503/python