POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Partial Output problem : Partial Output problem Server Time
28 Jun 2024 03:08:26 EDT (-0400)
  Partial Output problem
From: Mr
Date: 22 Jan 2011 06:20:01
Message: <web.4d3abd2839ae579d2a18d1190@news.povray.org>
Hi,
We are trying to implement partial output (border render) into blender's
exporter.
What happens is that we got it working except opening the output image crashes
blender. I suppose it's due to this fact mentioned in povray doc:

"""
When rendering a subset of *rows* (+sr/+er) POV-Ray writes the full height into
the image file header and only writes those lines into the image that are
rendered. This can cause problems with image reading programs that are not
checking the file while reading and just read over the end.

If POV-Ray wrote the actual height of the partial image into the image header
there would be no way to continue the trace in a later run.
"""

I think Continue trace is one of Povray's best features, but I wouldn't mind to
disable it in the exporter for when we do border render, because the idea of
border render is to work faster, not render overnight and days. My request is
could the file simply be filled with black transparent pixels outside of the
rendered area, maybe when an optional keyword is added?

Blender developers seem to be fine with how image reading is happening now on
blender's side.