POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG with mesh2 : Re: CSG with mesh2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG with mesh2
From: quickfur
Date: 19 Jan 2011 16:30:01
Message: <web.4d3756869a9f4973ee8d82c40@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
[...]
> If you want to use clipped_by, the clipping object MUST be texture-less.
> So, you need to define your meshes that are subject to be used as
> clipping objects without any material/texture/pigment, and only apply
> the texture if needed.
>
> A clipping mesh may be unioned with a non-solid iner mesh, as long as
> they are both texture-less.
>
> Texture-less also mean that you can't have any per triangle/vertice
> texture. NO texture ANYWHERE in the mesh definition.
[...]

It's not working. I tried clipped_by with a textureless mesh2 object, but POVRay
is still rejecting it. Here's an example that causes a rejection:

sphere {
        <0,0,0>, .5

        clipped_by {
                mesh2 {
                        vertex_vectors {
                                6,
                                <1,0,0>, <0,1,0>, <0,0,1>,
                                <-1,0,0>, <0,-1,0>, <0,0,-1>
                        }
                        face_indices {
                                8,
                                <0,1,2>
                                <0,2,3>
                                <0,3,4>
                                <0,4,1>
                                <5,1,2>
                                <5,2,3>
                                <5,3,4>
                                <5,4,1>
                        }
                        inside_vector x
                }
        }

        pigment { rgb<1,1,0> }
        finish { ambient 0.3 diffuse 0.5, specular 0.8 }
}

As you can see, there is no texture anywhere in the mesh2, yet POVRay still
complains:

Parse Error: Illegal texture or patch in clip, bound or object pattern.

Is this a version-dependent thing? Or did I misunderstand the mesh2 syntax? I'm
really confused now.