POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Parallel processing : Re: Parallel processing Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parallel processing
From: Clarence1898
Date: 18 Jan 2011 21:35:01
Message: <web.4d364d63965f5c5df0b197720@news.povray.org>
> nemesis wrote:
> > you are into this for a long time, huh, dude? :)
>
> This is the DOS 3 timeframe.  Before that, architectures were even more
> screwy in mainframes.
>
> > if you didn't give up in the hard hairy days, it's certainly not today...
>
> It's actually somewhat harder nowadays, in some ways. Now it's so easy that
> every bozo can build something that your boss thinks will save you time.
>
> --
> Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
>    Serving Suggestion:
>      "Don't serve this any more. It's awful."

I don't know about other manufacturers, but the IBM OS/360 systems
had an overlay mechanism much like you described in your earlier post.
You described an overlay structure to the linkage editor, and it
linked your program. When your program ran, the modules were loaded into
the overlay areas when called.  I don't recall anything particularly screwy
about that.  At one time all our programs had to run in a maximum region
(memory) size of 250K.  When you ran on a real memory system with less than 1M
of memory, you did what you had to do.

Isaac.