POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Default camera aspect ratio : Re: Default camera aspect ratio Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Default camera aspect ratio
From: Gyscos
Date: 17 Jan 2011 15:15:01
Message: <web.4d34a30f6855a57fb46bd10b0@news.povray.org>
I know, and understand that the ability to control the aspect ratio is
important, but I'm talking about the default behavior here :
If someone creates a scene, and wants only a small part of it to be visible,
then explicitly entering the desired aspect ratio in the camera makes more sense
than relying on the default settings. On the other hand, for quick and short
scene, it is much more practical to have the default settings adapt to the image
size.

Also, the 4:3 ratio is really not so frequent, especially when using POV-Ray to
render images to be used by another program (which is its main use in the lab
I'm working for).

I completely agree with the link about aspect ratio issue, and I think a
command-line argument for pixel ratio could be an elegant idea to easily fix
anamorphic issues. I just don't understand the default setting.