POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Diabolo : Re: 51 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 51
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 17 Jan 2011 05:55:01
Message: <web.4d341fc3f5626ccb6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> Need to figure out how the hell to correct for tilt though.
> >
> > IIRC (it has been quite some years since I played with diabolo) try to
> > move one stick more forward.
>
> Yeah, for whatever reason I seem to be throwing at an angle. That's
> probably the problem. It's easy to correct when you're just holding the
> diabolo on the string. Not so easy to correct for while also throwing
> and catching it.

Everyone has a dominant arm, so when learning to juggle / diabolo / devil stick
etc you need to overcome the dominance to make both arms behave similarly. Easy
to do when concentrating on a single throw, as you say, but as soon as you start
to focus on the ongoing task of keeping whatever it is moving continuously, it
needs to become subconscious.

I learnt a new juggling pattern last year, first time in ages. I too was amazed
at how quickly I advanced one day to the next (once I'd actually worked out what
to do, at any rate!)