POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "out of memory" error during render in RC2 : Re: "out of memory" error during render in RC2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "out of memory" error during render in RC2
From: stevenvh
Date: 10 Jan 2011 08:45:00
Message: <web.4d2b0d41aa4d819dc0721a1d0@news.povray.org>
I captured the complete error message from yesterday's crash. I thought this
might be interesting as well:

Memory allocation failure exception thrown at base\povmscpp.cpp line 1908.
POVMSAttr_Set failed, out of memory
Memory allocation failure exception thrown at base\povmscpp.cpp line 1908.
Fatal error in renderer: Out of memory.
Render failed

I managed to trace today's rendering until the fatal error. I get the same
errors except that the POVMSAttr_Set line is missing.

Memory use:
In the last iteration (pixel level) stable at around 980MB until 25% is
rendered, then it starts decreasing until it is 560MB just before fatal error.
After it indicates 430MB (FWIW).

I'm running this on a quad-core Phenom 9500, which to my surprise was only ~18%
loaded, load spread evenly over the 4 cores. Rest of the time idle. Shouldn't
POV-Ray use close to 100% of cycles?