POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
28 Sep 2024 20:10:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: MDenham
Date: 26 Dec 2010 01:10:06
Message: <web.4d16db7bc7728638ae5c9ba20@news.povray.org>
"Edouard" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> >   Likewise with gradients: The default should be *perceived* linearity,
> > the absolute linearity being the special case which has to be specified
> > in a special way.
>
> I sort of agree, but I think perhaps a more general solution would be even more
> useful; allow the user to specify the colourspace in which the interpolation is
> working. So you can specify a linear coourspace, or a sRGB colourspace, or a
> specific gamma, or (actually quite usefully) HSV or L*ab or some other non-RGB
> one.
>
> >                                                           - Warp
>
> Cheers,
> Edouard.

Christ, now we're (almost) getting into the territory of how I want to implement
true "specify your spectrum" lighting/pigments...  :-D

(Granted, that _would_ pretty well obviate this whole argument because if you're
stating the spectrum, obviously you're stating it in [fake-unitized] radiant
flux at various wavelengths, but it's also enough work to try and implement that
I doubt it'd be finished before we were staring down the barrels of POV-Ray
5.0...)