POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : any hidden line rendering api? : Re: any hidden line rendering api? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:27:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any hidden line rendering api?
From: optima
Date: 23 Dec 2010 17:50:01
Message: <web.4d13d0b49f4bc9d4804e8730@news.povray.org>

> Such applications normally use triangle meshes as the underlying
> geometric representation, and (at least in hidden lines mode) rendering
> algorithms totally different from raytracing, akin to those used in
> computer games.

I also use meshes(if by saying triangle mesh you mean models exported from
3dsmax ) yes they make up 99% of my models in a scene only walls are drawn by
povray macro.

> To do it with raytracing, you'd have to...
I dont necessarily have to use povray to accomplish this goal, povray is already
doing the heavy lifting by producing beautiful 3d textured images.
I just need a way to produce simple(?) hidden lines of models as depicted in
some images I posted.

I gather this is no easy task in any environment, maybe except for autocad
applications. I mean my 3d needs are based on and provided for by povray and
xna.
If I based my 3d rendering needs on autocad based (maybe dwg files) it would be
a whole lot easier to accomplish the hidden line rendering objective.

As I realize other applications I was talking about are almost all of them are
based on autocad like (or similar to autocad, definitely)rendering techniques.

I am not about to give up povray and xna for this hidden line stuff, on the
contrary I might give up on hidden lines to keep povray and xna. But I think
autocad based drawing is somewhat more friendly to hidden line rendering.

thank you very much