POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
26 Jun 2024 12:57:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Dec 2010 15:20:00
Message: <web.4d0fb951c7728638196b08580@news.povray.org>
> Am 20.12.2010 12:38, schrieb Kenneth:
>
> > Personally, I give this topic *much* thought--always comparing what I see
> > in real-life to what I see (or think I should see) on a computer screen and
> > in images that I make. It's an on-going process for me...

> A similar on-going process happens on the other side of the fence, btw.

No doubt! ;-) It can't be easy, trying to reconcile what might be considered an
'oil and water mix' of different philosophies and requests.

> Finally, here is one more fact: For some file formats (like PNG, OpenEXR
> and Radiance HDR), it is to the best of my knowledge /impossible/ to
> achieve a well-defined behaviour regarding gamma that suits both
> technical and artistic use of a single gamma-handling mechanism. Thus we
> /need/ a purely technical gamma handling mechanism if we want to support
> physical realism at all...

Yes, I do see the need for that--having to work by necessity with raw linear
lighting values, AFAIU, and over a *very* large numerical range. (In fact, it's
these particular issues that are driving me toward buying a new high-end camera,
to start experimenting with HDRI in POV-Ray.)

BTW, my ranting screed was most definitely not aimed in your direction, rest
assured. (Sorry if it sounded that way.) Keep those great ideas coming! ;-)

Ken