POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fractured planetoids : Fractured planetoids Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Fractured planetoids
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 15 Dec 2010 01:40:03
Message: <web.4d08619a22680f82508060190@news.povray.org>
My cracked moon was an interesting project, and turned out rather nicely.  Now I
want to go further.

I am seeking ideas for producing a completely fractured planetoid (Massive,
cataclysmic damage, floating debris, space visible between pieces)

I would like to produce the object(s) either procedurally or as a series of
isosurfaces, as I have no hand for mesh work.. I understand that it is possible
that the only way to efficiently model the explosion and separation of a large
object due to impact may be with meshes, but I have no idea where to begin with
the math.

how the object broke up would depend on its composition.  Fault placement would
have an effect, as well as various other factors.

I suppose the composition could be controlled with variables for mineral content
and deposit density turbulence.  Faulting could be controlled similarly.

Any thoughts?

Am I out of my mind?

Regards,

A.D.B.