POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : help with splines : Re: help with splines Server Time
30 Apr 2024 16:04:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: help with splines
From: yoyodunno
Date: 11 Dec 2010 20:25:01
Message: <web.4d0423b9464c1137cd2e0a0a0@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> About a decade ago I looked into something like this.  Measuring the
> length of a section of spline involves the integral of the length of the
> differential of the...  Uh, it's complicated.  Even for a quadratic
> spline the integral is hairy enough, and I suppose for a cubic spline
> it's downright ugly.  The iterative solution is much neater and simpler
> to understand.
>
> Regards,
> John

Yeah, arc length in calculus, I was thinking about that! But, I've decided it's
too involved for me right now lol. So instead, I worked on getting the time
values so that the distances are almost uniform on the spline, I have it pretty
close so that now I should be able to have multiple roller cars without looking
too weird scrunching up or stretching out in the animation. Now time to add the
ferris wheel!