POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Creating a rotating gem : Re: Creating a rotating gem Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating a rotating gem
From: Bidski
Date: 11 Dec 2010 01:35:03
Message: <web.4d031a6a1e34407486c9e330@news.povray.org>
Slime <pov### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:
> > I guess I just need to tweak the texture now?
>
> As a few people have said, you should really put a background
> environment on your image - even if you don't want it in the final
> product - because it will show how much more potential this image has.
> An object with so much reflection and refraction is begging for it. Just
> slap this sky_sphere on as a starting point and see what you think. If
> you like it, there are ways to keep the background black but retain it
> in the reflection and refraction of the object.

I intend to use this picture in place where it needs to have either a black or a
transparent background (can POV-Ray do transparent backgrounds?). I also intend
to use some different textures to make different gems (diamonds, emeralds,
sapphires, rubies, etc). Because of this I think its best to just keep the black
background.

What do people think about the overall look of this gem (stone5)?

Regards
Bidski