POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Creating a rotating gem : Creating a rotating gem Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:56:32 EDT (-0400)
  Creating a rotating gem
From: Bidski
Date: 10 Dec 2010 03:30:01
Message: <web.4d01e47564f2c1cb3c0146760@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I am trying to make myself a rotating gem. I found some sample code from a
different ray tracer program and proceeded to try and "import" it into POV-Ray.
However, the output that I am getting is far from the intended output and I am
at a complete loss as to what I need to do to fix it.

I have included links to 4 images. The GIF file is what I am trying to achieve.
Stone1.bmp, Stone2.bmp and Stone3.bmp and the outputs that I can get by
modifying the specular and roughness flags but I cant get the full clarity
throughout the picture.

The picture is made by using a mesh of 48 triangles, all with the same texture
and the mesh itself has an interior specifying the IoR and a couple of other
flags.

Can anyone suggest what I might need to do in order to get this looking right?
(I would much prefer (detailed) pointers to answers as an answer would defeat
the purpose of learning)

Thanks in advance
Bidski

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll167/Bidskii/diamondrot.gif