POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : stripes in my color map : Re: stripes in my color map Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stripes in my color map
From: Joost
Date: 4 Dec 2010 08:00:00
Message: <web.4cfa39fdba37d98edfff491b0@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> Even if you render at 16 bits per channel, your display is still limited
> to 8 bits per channel. Thus, the pixels get down sampled for the
> display, resulting in the banding you see.

Ah. I undertand I still didn't completely understand.

But as I noticed the stripes on the print from the printer, who can only process
JPEG, and JPEG being 8-bits, me seeing the stripes on the screen means they will
also appear on my prints, if my thinking is correct.

> You can hide some of the banding using some noise on the red and green
> channels.
> It can be a mostly transparent pattern layered over the blue gradient
> using a noisy pattern like granite or bozo scaled small enough.

I've tried that now and I feel that has indeed helped (but at the moment I am
seeing banding everywhere, so I need a time-out). I'm going to experiment some
more with that (and try OpenEXR) later.

Thanks, Joost