POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again : Re: Gamma Again Server Time
30 Jun 2024 18:36:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Again
From: Stephen Klebs
Date: 3 Dec 2010 06:15:00
Message: <web.4cf8d01a451e96c8fc413f510@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

> All those ideas (filters, lighting etc) are equally applicable to your POV
> scene as they are to real life.  Again, the goal of POV is that whatever you
> do IRL (eg add a reflector, light or filter to your scene) would give the
> same result in POV.  Note there is still a long way to go, but that doesn't
> mean it shouldn't be the goal.

Beating a dead horse here, but a comment on this point. Yes, POV, as it is, does
allow such "filters". What concerns me in what appears to be the direction of
the new release is that many of these techniques seem to be either deprecated or
made so complicated and cumbersome to impliment they are in effect impossible to
use. Especially "assumed_gamma" which I consider essential to the process but
which some here have described as a kind of cheap and quick artistic trick.