POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again : Re: Gamma Again Server Time
2 Jul 2024 15:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Again
From: Stephen Klebs
Date: 2 Dec 2010 10:45:00
Message: <web.4cf7be7c451e96c8fc413f510@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

> > You seem to imagine
> > that if we can get all our equations right for accurately describing the
> > behavior of light in the physical world, that somehow we will get the
> > perfect
> > picture. Umph?
>
> Yes, it should be perfectly identical to if you'd set up the identical scene
> in real life and taken a photo with a perfect camera.  This is the goal of
> POV.

Well, wake me up when you get there. I really want to see that. And even if you
do get there, I'm not sure you will like what you see. I suggest you check a
little article I read on how photographers like Ansel Adams had to use filers
that I posted somewhere here.

There was similar quest years back about using computers to imitate visual
perception, that is, computers that see. And in the end, with all the variables
that couldn't be computed, like size constancy and object recognition and such,
they gave up.