POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again : Re: Gamma Again Server Time
2 Jul 2024 15:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Again
From: Stephen Klebs
Date: 2 Dec 2010 10:25:01
Message: <web.4cf7ba3a451e96c8fc413f510@news.povray.org>

> No, it's your eye playing tricks on you.
>
> Our eyes are highly calibratible optical measurement tools

Sorry, hope I'm not pushing this too far but this article on filters in
photography relates to programmable cameras like POV:

"The more you learn about photography the more you'll also learn that artificial
filters and manipulation are required to make a natural looking image. Ansel
Adams realized that human perception and the photographic processes are quite
different. Therefore one needs to use a lot of filtration, manipulation and
burning and dodging to compensate for the human eye and brain's image processing
to create an image on paper that looks natural. (You can read this in his
books.) This is why most snapshots don't look like the original scene.
Artificial processes and image manipulation are needed to make a photograph look
natural.

Armchair photographers like to play a stupid game that prohibits anything
creative and requires they just play forensic photographers blindly Xeroxing
nature without filters. I only judge people on the final image, not the process.
Sadly these folks get images that are both dull and unnatural."

How to Use Filters: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm