POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again : Re: Gamma Again Server Time
1 Jul 2024 14:34:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Again
From: Stephen Klebs
Date: 30 Nov 2010 22:00:01
Message: <web.4cf5b995451e96c8fc413f510@news.povray.org>
> Independent of this issue: Would it be useful to have a
> setting of "color_gamma" that tells POV-Ray how to interpret
> literal color values specified in SDL? The default value of 1.0
> would yield the current behavior while e.g. 2.2 would internally
> convert a value as rgb 186/255 to rgb 0.5 without the need for
> plastering your code with gamma macros.

Or a global_setting to toggle like default settings that just stipulate: for
every pigment past this point assume every color raised to the power 2.2 or 1.8
or whatever but then we're back to assumed_gamma again. The trouble is too that
ambience and light intensities and a whole host of other variables
are also playing their part. At this point, I would just like to see 3.6 ported
with multi-processor support.