POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again : Re: Gamma Again Server Time
1 Jul 2024 14:47:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Again
From: Kenneth
Date: 30 Nov 2010 19:00:01
Message: <web.4cf58eeb451e96c8196b08580@news.povray.org>
> Stephen Klebs wrote:

> > Now what do I get? Not a straight, smooth, gradual gradient from
> > light to dark but a parabolic curve of values from light to slightly
> > darker but still light to abruptly skewed to black.
>
> I have to admit I don't understand this either. Until now I
> thought that since 3.7 now uses a linear color space, 0.5 would
> represent a true midgray and all the nifty gamma handling ensures
> that everyone perceives that midgray on their display when viewing
> the image file. So I'd also have expected the end result of your
> test scene to visually yield evenly spaced brightness steps.

I too had assumed the same thing. (But I haven't yet tried out the relevant 3.7
beta and its gamma change, so I don't want to say too much more, because my
assumption could be wrong.) Yet Stephen's result does seem unexpected (that is,
based on my experience with v3.6.1 using assumed_gamma 2.2, not 1.0--I *thought*
the new 3.7 change was meant to match that, at least when viewing POV-Ray's
preview image.)

> [clip] I too perceive the
> upper two rows as more visually correct.

Same here (viewing it on my CRT monitor, BTW.)