POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Emissive media "shadow" problem - please help : Emissive media "shadow" problem - please help Server Time
4 May 2024 22:34:59 EDT (-0400)
  Emissive media "shadow" problem - please help
From: KurtB
Date: 29 Nov 2010 17:55:00
Message: <web.4cf42ece6a873a78f5f7d8980@news.povray.org>
Hi,

In developing my first POV-Ray scene I encountered a subtle artifact and I am
not sure how to get rid of it. I have a 100% transmissive cylinder containing
identically-transformed emissive media with a cylindrical distribution. When in
front of a dark reflective texture, the edges of the cylinder appear dark (a
little bit like a shadow, but obviously not a shadow). When in front of a
brighter or flatter texture, the edges of the cylinder do not appear darker than
the surroundings--the desired effect. This artifact seems a bit stronger when
the cylinder is partially embedded in the dark-textured object. This image shows
what I mean:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?923dd7c03e.png

Could anyone suggest what causes this, and how I might get rid of it?

The following code reproduces this scene:

background { rgb 0 }
global_settings {
      max_trace_level 256 //just in case
}

//includes
#include "golds.inc"
#include "colors.inc"

//declare textures
#declare gold = texture
{
   T_Gold_1C
}

camera { location <2, 2, -7> look_at <0,0,0> }

light_source {<20, 40, 10>, rgb 1.5 media_interaction off shadowless }

plane { y,-3
        pigment { Blue }
        finish { ambient 0 diffuse .3}
}