POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about the Big Bang : Re: Question about the Big Bang Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:28:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about the Big Bang
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 Nov 2010 20:15:01
Message: <web.4ce720828acb62c8196b08580@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> > I think it was more popular before people found dark energy and thought we
> > were heading for a "big crunch" or something?
>
>   I think the word "found" is wrong here. It hasn't been measured; it's a
> hypothesis. (It could perfectly well be the *correct* hypothesis, but until
> it's measured it's just that.)

Yeah; AFAIU it, 'dark matter' and 'dark energy' are somewhat ad-hoc
postulates--there was a 'hole' in the current cosmological model for awhile,
where certain observations about the universe just didn't match the model; hence
*something* must be missing from it (if it's to better match the observations.)
DM and DA would fill that hole; but whether they truly exist or not is another
matter. The observed effects could be something else entirely, something even
stranger (IMO).