POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about the Big Bang : Re: Question about the Big Bang Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:12:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about the Big Bang
From: Kenneth
Date: 18 Nov 2010 22:30:00
Message: <web.4ce5ee608acb62c8196b08580@news.povray.org>
> Kenneth wrote:
> > In other words, does the *relatively*
> > vast space inside an atom itself--between the nucleus and its electrons--also
> > expand?
>
> Sure. But then the electrons move closer to the nucleus again.

Hmm, don't understand that. You mean, because of the 'set' attractive/repulsive
forces between electrons and nucleus? If so, very interesting--I hadn't thought
of that before. It *would* seem to keep the atom at the same size, regardless of
space expansion. And all of the atom's internal workings the same as well, since
the relative charges and distances haven't changed.

> The math of quantum mechanics all works only if you assume quarks and
> electrons and photons are all mathematical points. So the electrons
> themselves don't expand.

Agreed. (The idea of 'point-like' masses--with no spatial extension--is itself a
strange one!)