POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cracking a sphere : Re: cracking a sphere Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cracking a sphere
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 18 Nov 2010 03:45:01
Message: <web.4ce4e74da070b6d7507e8a090@news.povray.org>
> Anthony D. Baye wrote:
>
> > I think that what I need is a high-definition height map, with the crack drawn
> > in.  Something that I can wrap around a sphere...
>
> you can also wrap a crackle pattern around a sphere
> using a spherical warp {}. Then the corresponding pigment
> function should be suitable for use in the iso_surface by
> subtracting it from the base sphere.

That didn't really work too well, and I tried several variations...

I have to say, I'm rather unimpressed with Wings3d, the controls seem rather
cryptic.  I'm not a PoV purist, but I feel all thumbs with modelers...

The more I think about it, the more I feel a height map might be the way to go,
but I have no idea of how to create a height map suitable for a spherical
mapping.

Regards,

A.D.B.