POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting problem,please help : Re: Lighting problem,please help Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting problem,please help
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 16 Nov 2010 06:20:01
Message: <web.4ce267d76e7a50e8507e8a090@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Sorry to ask naive, simpleton questions from the get-go, but I'm just trying to
> get a handle on the problem.
>
> Which version of POV-Ray are you using?
>
> Are you using scattering media? Not emission media, hopefully. ;-)
>
> Are you sure the light is inside the sphere? (Believe me, I've had *that*
> problem before, thinking the light is at one place when it's at another; I have
> to resort to a looks_like sphere to locate it!)
>
> If you remove any/all CSG *and* give the sphere just a simple pigment, does the
> problem still occur?

I'm currently running beta 39 in Ubuntu.  I am using a simple scattering media,
40 intervals, scattering { 3, White*10^-obsceneNumber } samples 30, 50

I did notice that pov crashes with an out of memory error if I use 400 intervals

I am certain the light source is inside the sphere, though I have not tried
removing the csg.

This is not a new problem.  I've experienced similar difficulties in the past
with light sources inside csg objects.

A.D.B.