POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Problem with new focal blur noise pattern and animations : Re: Problem with new focal blur noise pattern and animations Server Time
30 Jun 2024 17:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with new focal blur noise pattern and animations
From: Tek
Date: 12 Nov 2010 09:25:01
Message: <web.4cdd4d1c51977b7ecaa39c860@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 12/11/2010 11:36, Tek a écrit :
>
> > Quite simply, I have no way to guarantee, or even to make it likely, that pixels
> > on the next frame will use a different blur sample to this frame.
> >

> If you use a deterministic pattern (whatever it be, with high contrast
> area in <0,0><1,1>...) then from frame to frame, you can rotate and
> translate it as your seed wants to govern it. you might for instance use
> a checkered b&w, scaled to 1/10 (so that's potentially 50 spots out of
> 100), rotated on the plane by a random value (your choice of seed),
> translated randomly...

I'm pretty sure that's what I just said.

e.g. I sample the bokeh filter for a pixel this frame and it hits a white bit,
so the sample goes through in that position. On the next frame I try to sample
the exact same position (because the halton sequence is the same), but I've
animated the bokeh pattern so there's a 50% chance it will hit white again. If
it does then the sample is in the same position, not animated.

So 50% of the noise from one frame to the next will be identical, not random. Am
I missing something?