POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : motion blur test : Re: motion blur test Server Time
16 May 2024 01:05:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: motion blur test
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 Nov 2010 17:45:01
Message: <web.4cdc70ea7450cbb2196b08580@news.povray.org>
That's very nice! The focal-blur trick seems to work quite well; I can't 'see'
any of the 'static-position' blur noise you mentioned. I assume you *averaged* a
bunch of frames together for each motion-blurred one. (That's the way I do it.)
How many individual frames per final frame?

I was wondering what kind of code (clock-driven?) you used to get the gray
mirrored cube to rotate at different speeds. Very effective.

The only drawback I've noticed when averaging frames is that any scene elements
that are supposed to be *really* bright (like looking directly at a
motion-blurred lightbulb) will end up being smeared out to a dimmer, translucent
streak (when the same thing captured on *film* would be a very bright streak.)
Because of the inherent averaging of the 'moving' lightbulb with its dimmer
background. Someone on the newsgroups pointed this out to me awhile ago; but
most of the time, averaging-of-frames works quite well.

From what I understand, MegaPOV's motion blur (of objects) is done a different
way--so that bright lights produce a bright streak. I don't know for sure, as
I've never used it.

Ken