POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Problem with new focal blur noise pattern and animations : Re: Problem with new focal blur noise pattern and animations Server Time
28 Sep 2024 15:02:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with new focal blur noise pattern and animations
From: Tek
Date: 11 Nov 2010 13:10:01
Message: <web.4cdc315551977b7ecaa39c860@news.povray.org>

> There appears to be
> consensus among the POV-Ray animators that static noise should be
> favored over dynamic noise.

Is there? Can you point me to some discussion of this topic, since I strongly
disagree.

Noise that remains static in screen space when everything else is moving draws
attention to itself. Conversely, animated noise can look quite realistic
provided you have a high enough number of samples for it to pass for film-grain,
and if you don't have enough samples it's going to look bad either way.

Obviously there's no "right" answer to which is the best error (they're both
wrong!), but it would be really nice to have the ability to set the random seed
for the focal blur so I can chose if it changes or not.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Pixar use animated noise... though I've failed to
Google a reference for that.