POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stupid math question, epic fail! : Stupid math question, epic fail! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Stupid math question, epic fail!
From: Steve Martell
Date: 25 Oct 2010 23:10:01
Message: <web.4cc646765a7741fd661a07080@news.povray.org>
So...

All I want to do is start out at <1,0,0> and spiral up to the top of a
hemisphere.  I want to be able to vary the vertical step up (via angle, of
course) and the horizontal step.  I can make plain old vertical columnar spirals
all day long, but I'm just not getting the translation for the hemisphere.  The
eqs I have found online aren't quite doing what I want - I get fancy loxo
things, but not just a nice spiral.

Here's what I'm using:

#declare Theta = 0;
#declare Phi = 0;

#while (Theta < 2*pi*10 )

      sphere { <0,0,0>, .05 texture { T_Stone3 } translate
<cos(Theta)*sin(Phi),abs(cos(Phi)),sin(Theta)*sin(Phi)> }

    #declare Theta = Theta + pi/120;
    #declare Phi = Phi + pi/12;

#end

If I leave the Phi out of it all, just using the X and Z, I get my nice columnar
spirals.  Nice if I want to make car springs, that is!  I am going to use this
to make indents on a golfball, but it is really just a concept struggle at this
point.  I just want a nice, adjustable, hemispherical spiral!  Argh!