POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Made me laugh... : Re: Made me laugh... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Made me laugh...
From: nemesis
Date: 18 Oct 2010 21:35:01
Message: <web.4cbcf4b0a71a9901a197654e0@news.povray.org>
> On 18/10/2010 07:20 PM, Warp wrote:
>
> >    I have noticed a curious pattern that, in average, people who believe in
> > one kind of pseudoscience or paranormal phenomena are very likely to believe
> > in a whole array of such claimed phenomena.
>
> Presumably it takes some kind of mental disorder to actually believe any
> of this nonesense.

It actually requires being exposed to it from a tender age, plus general society
acceptance.  In pre-scientific-method societies, it could be perfectly
acceptable for mentally sane people to theorize the most ridiculous theories to
explain unexplained phenomena -- the ancient greek philosophers were quite good
at logic, but some of their reasoning was based on false promises not quite
based on evidence.

Today, it still goes on based mostly on cultural inheritance.