POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Windows beta 39 available : Re: Windows beta 39 available Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows beta 39 available
From: andreas post
Date: 13 Oct 2010 16:50:01
Message: <web.4cb61ad030543542b5dafe00@news.povray.org>
Hi Chris,

I understand your 'headache' regarding using InstallShield!

> If you mean that it doesn't provide multi-user advertised files, this is a
> known issue.

Yes, when I try to install (logined as administrator), installation fails due to
missing admin-/write-rights (because I can not run the *.msi-package by
right-click and selecting 'run as administrator'). Then I used an environment
either by starting file-explorer TotalCommander or cmd.exe by using right-click
and choosing 'run as administrator'. In this case installation does not fail,
but created links in startmenu does not work resp. are not global
(user-independent).

The general problem raised because there is a CAD-software (to design kitchen
furniture) which uses POV-Ray. In this software, the path to "pvengine64.exe"
has to be administrated global (user-independent).

If POV-Ray is installed in path "C:\program files\POV_Ray\" then the setting
"C:\program files\POV_Ray\bin\pvengine64.exe" leads to error messages when a
single user tries to use POV-Ray functionality.

In other case I installed POV-Ray v3.6.2 using the recommended path
("C:\Users\<<user-name>>\AppData\Roaming\..."). But the setting
"C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\...\bin\pvengine64.exe" or
"C:\Users\"%USERNAME%"\AppData\Roaming\...\bin\pvengine64.exe" does not work in
this software. Nevertheless the call of
"C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\...\bin\pvengine64.exe" in cmd.exe (or
TotalCommander) works fine (POV-Ray starts without error-messages).

Either I have to wait and check, what will offer final version of POV-Ray v3.7
or I have to convince Ruediger (the developer of the CAD-software) to fix the
path-setting behaviour in order to accept path-settings including environment
variables (%USERNAME%).

Warm regards, Andreas