POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holy Wars : Re: Holy Wars Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holy Wars
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 6 Oct 2010 04:15:00
Message: <web.4cac2f96557a24826dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > Sure. And what I'm saying is "80s BASIC sucks so much that it's clearly
> > inferior - and nobody is arguing about this".
>
> Inferior for what purpose?  If you want users (who are not programmers) of
> your equipment (which has a simple CPU and small alphanumeric display) to be
> able to do some simple programming to control it, then something like 80s
> BASIC doesn't seem such a bad choice.

Seconded! Depends what version, too. BBC BASIC had none of the limitations
listed in the earlier post. Using BASIC to control the i/o ports on early 8-bit
Acorn machines was so easy and powerful that they're still useful for
datalogging even now. Later, big chunks of Acorn's RISC OS were written in
BASIC.

However, I can well imagine that the versions of BASIC most people are
acquainted with are extremely limited. :)