POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rocky Desert : Re: Rocky Desert Server Time
9 May 2024 12:50:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rocky Desert
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 5 Oct 2010 14:10:01
Message: <web.4cab66242ba0250ff9f6e13c0@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > Usually when that happens to me, I never end up posting anything \:
>
>     That's a shame... I usually enjoy your unique images.
>
> > It's a good scene, but the light balance doesn't seem to follow the sun
> > much. Textured fog might help with something like this, but POV doesn't
> > support it. I wrote some code a while back to add this kind of
> > functionality, you might want to check it out. It's over at
> > p.t.scene-files. Perhaps you can glean something from it.
>
>     Thanks, that works wonderfully on this case, and was easy to add due to
> the way the scene was constructed. Indeed, your code is a very good
> demonstration of the idea, and allows to quickly grasp the concept and to
> see how useful it is for outdoor scenes. I second the feature request, of
> course...

That looks much better! It's an awesome scene :) Did you try out the ground fog
version I posted? It doesn't look nearly as good, but I wanted to provide the
option for it anyway.

Media would be the ideal choice in any case, but it's still pretty slow even
with multiple cores.

In other scenarios, casting glare from the sun would also help balance the
light. A sphere with a polar or spherical pigment pointing at the sun works. And
there's that clear tube with a specular or phong finish connecting between the
sun and camera. It seems to work pretty well, and even reacts when something
occludes the light.

And then there are clouds. The same technique of using a polar pigment located
at the camera position--and pointed at a light_source--can help "stacked planes"
clouds look more realistic.

Sam

P.S. Are coral snakes desert creatures? I heard this saying regarding the
distinction between coral and king snakes: "Red touching yellow, kill a fellow.
Red touching black, friend to Jack."