POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Four points determining a hyperbolic paraboliod : Re: Four points determining a hyperbolic paraboliod Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Four points determining a hyperbolic paraboliod
From: Graham
Date: 4 Oct 2010 09:35:01
Message: <web.4ca9d6c6acf11cc392d3a1390@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Yes, it is a portion of a hyperbolic paraboloid.  What exactly are you
> trying to accomplish?

Thanks John,
The simple answer* is that I'm attempting to have PovRAY develop a
horn-like shape.** It starts with the points defining a basic shape for
iteration. The points of the basic shape is Transmogrified (scaled,
rotated and translated) to yield the positions of the other end of the
basic unit. The shape of the (many) sides of the comprises two consecutive
points on the basic shape and their equivalent points on the T'd shape.
The triangles I have been using on the sides look to mechanical, and I
thought the curved nature of the HP might give it a more organic feel.
In any case, once the first unit is declared, then the spiral is built
by T'ing the unit and unioning another unit to it over several iterations.

*Proof only that there is no simple answer.
**This was originally going to read "I'm attempting to evolve a pair of
horns.", but on a second parse it was revised.