POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Maximum Resolution of Renders? : Maximum Resolution of Renders? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Maximum Resolution of Renders?
From: fillibar
Date: 29 Sep 2010 10:25:00
Message: <web.4ca34bdd82e7dfcec65119c90@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know if there is an effective maximum to the resolution you can
render at?

Background of question:
I am rendering some very high-object images as well as some high-detail ones at
times and would like to up the resolution significantly. I added a 12800x10240
resolution that has been beneficial but the ultimate goal would be a 41000x41000
image. However each time I have attempted to render that Pov-Ray has crashed on
me. Even when using a single, simple test object (a plain white sphere that
should use a single pixel). So I think this is running into a program limitation
at present.

In case anyone wonders about the max I have done so far, it is the 12800x10240
which is representing ~8,000,000 simple objects (plain white spheres). This has
rendered successfully (although parsing the CSV with all the locations takes a
long time and a TON of memory).

Computer rendering has:
AMD Phenom II Hexacore 2.8Ghz
8GB RAM