POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : To Mike Williams: is a four-hole SweepMesh.inc possible? : To Mike Williams: is a four-hole SweepMesh.inc possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  To Mike Williams: is a four-hole SweepMesh.inc possible?
From: gregjohn
Date: 23 Sep 2010 12:10:01
Message: <web.4c9b7b273beb987730bf98980@news.povray.org>
Thanks to Mike Williams for, over the years, providing such a useful set of
macros such as SweepMesh. SweepMesh allows one to make a mesh2 object which is a
tube whose radius and centerline comply to a given set of splines. The natural
culmination is in his braided rope macro.

I have a new idea, and I don't know if it were an afternoon of coding for a
genius, or a topic that PhD students would have sweat through a dissertation
for.

Think of the current system as a "two hole" system. I'd like a "turtleneck
sweater" and a "pants" macro, or "four holes crossed" and "three hole: one going
to two" systems.

One way of providing inputs would be to have the user provide four splines--
left and right;  top of neck to end of sleeve, and sleeve underarm to waist.  It
might be remotely possible for me to do this "one time", but I'm fearful of
making one that allows for arbitrary spline inputs and number of triangles, and
be smooth.

Is this doable? Any tips on how to approach it?  (Or John vanSickle, do you have
any insights from your modeller that would make for an easy in-povray way to
design this?)